Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It pays to know people


After attending a graduation dinner, my brother wanted to have a drink before calling it a night. We decided to go to the Gamlin Whiskey House. I had been wanting to go there for quite sometime. One of my old bosses is the Executive Chef there. Upon us entering, I immediately recognized several faces. I ask if Ivy was by chance there?  Turns out that he was. He came out and we talked for about ten minutes or so and as I expected he had to go check on Sub Zero which he also runs. Before he left he ask if I would like to try some of the food. Even though I had already eaten, my answer was "Sure I'll try a little something.  For starters, he gave us some kale chips that were seasoned with what I think was paprika and some olive and a touch of salt. Along with that was a bread and butter board with three different types of bread and butter. 
Before we could dive into either of these items, more things were coming out.  He gave us a scallop ceviche, shrimp and grits, crab cakes on a bed of spinach and  a smoked salmon dish. 
Needless to say, we were overwhelmed with the amount of food that sat in front of us. The ceviche and crab cakes were the first to go. The crab cakes were very most and well seasoned and the spinach was a good accompaniment to the dish. The scallop ceviche was light and refreshing. I would definitely order then again. We both also had a double shot of some whiskey that was made in this state. At this point we were full as if we had just had a holiday dinner. I had the server pack up the rest of the food and I ate off of or for the entire next day.  It really does pay to know people on this industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment